How to Track a Cell Phone Location for Free
Gone are the days when people rely on tech experts to track a cell phone's location for them. These days, anyone can do that, provided they have a device with a good internet connection. Generally, tracking a cell phone's location is not rocket science. You need the right app and the knowledge of how to use them.
A phone tracker app allows you to monitor a phone's location and activities without them knowing. Some can even help recover a misplaced or stolen phone.
This post contains an overview of apps to track a cell phone's location. Read on to find out more!
- Part 1 : How to Track a Cell Phone Location for Free (Android)
- Part 2 : How to Track Cell Phone Location for Free (iPhone)
- Part 3 : Other Method To Track A Phone Location
- Part 4 : Video Tutorial: How to Track a Cell Phone Location for Free
- Part 5 : FAQs About Tracking A Cell Phone Location For Free
Part 1: How to Track a Cell Phone Location for Free (Android)
1. Google Map
Google map is a web-based location tracker. It is built initially as a navigator for direction while driving or exploring new places. Its location tracking is real-time and precise due to GPS. It allows tracking more than one device as far as location sharing is in place.
To use Google map as a tracker;
- First, add your G-mail to the target phone's Google contacts.
- Open the app on their cell phone and sign in.
- Tap the Google profile option at the top right side.
- Select Location sharing and New share.
- Choose the sharing duration "Until you turn this off."
- Add yourself to the option
- Select "Share", and you are done
2. Find My Device
Find My Device is another Google app to track a cell phone location for free. It runs only on Android devices. Most tracker apps powered by Google are designed for locating lost phones but can also track location with pinpoint accuracy.
- Download and install the app on the target device
- Launch the app and enable location tracking
- On your phone's browser, go to the FindMyDevice website
- Input their Gmail in the search box to see their location
- As far as their phone is on and has Wi-Fi or mobile data, you will see where they are.
3. AirDroid Free Cell Phone Location Tracker
AirDroid Parental Control app has the function of a location tracker. Apart from location tracking, it also has other features like a remote camera, screen mirroring, and sync SMS/notification.
- Track a cell phone location online
- View the location history from the timeline
- Watch and listen to the cell phone's surroundings remotely
- Monitoring phone activities in real-time
The app is easy to use; here is how;
- Download the accessible version of the app on your iOS device. Click here to do that
- Install it and create your account
- Download the AirDroid kids on the target phone
- Install it and set up the necessary settings
- Enter the pairing code to link their phone to yours
4. Mobile Number Tracker
Mobile Number Tracker can quickly pinpoint a device's location on the map. It uses phone numbers, not mobile network or Wi-Fi or tracking. You don’t need to install an app on the other person's phone or your phone.
- Go to the website
- Type out the phone number you want to track
- Select the country of the number
- You can view it from the user space all on the website
5. Mobile Tracker
Mobile Tracker is best for tracking employees and family members. You not only see their location, but you monitor/also manage their phone. With the app, you can record audio and take screenshots without them knowing. To use the free app,
- Download and install it on your device
- Create an account with them
- Configure the setting
6. Where's My Droid
Where's My Droid is another free cell phone location tracker for android devices. It is an engaging and easy-to-use app. You can remotely take pictures with the target phone from your phone with it.
Part 2. How to Track Cell Phone Location for Free (Android)
1. Find My iPhone
Find My iPhone is a Find My app preloaded on iOS devices. It allows users to track lost iOS devices to see the current location or last known one.
This app makes the device difficult to steal. It can also be used to track a person's location for free. But first, it has to be enabled from the device settings.
From the setting, go to "choose your account". Go to "Find My" and enable it from there. Also, enable the "share my location."
To recover a cell phone location with Find My iPhone;
- Visit iCloud and sign in to Find My iPhone
- Click on "All Device."
- Choose the device you want to find
- The location will appear on the map
- If it cannot be located, "offline" will be indicated below the device name
- To find a new device, click on the device name to access the device list
- Select "new device."
2. iCloud Location Tracking
iCloud is an Apple service securely for iOS devices that stores files, photos, data, passwords, etc. It keeps all your data in one place regardless of the number of iOS devices you own. Data uploaded o iCloud can be shared with other iOS devices, including the location. Hence, it can be used as an accessible location tracker app.
You can back up your entire device on it. Signing up for it is free; you need just your Apple ID. It comes with an email account and up to 5GB to store your data.
Sharing a device's location with it is also easy.
- First, enable the location sharing on the target device
- You can do that from the settings
- Go to iCloud
- Tap "share my location."
- Choose who to share it with
- Log in to iCloud with the target device apple ID
- Select "all device."
- Choose the device you want to find
- The location will pop up on the map.
3. Find My Friends
Find My Friends is an official tracking app for iPad, iPhone, or iPod. If you are using iOS 9 to 12, you can easily share your location permanently or temporarily with other iOS devices. The app is intuitive and straightforward. For iOS 13 or later, please use the Find My app which combines the functions of Find My iPhone and Find My Friends. You can track location with it, get notifications about locations, and view shared locations on the map.
- Both parties need to have an iPhone.
- Open the app and tap “Start Sharing Location” from the bottom. If the target phone is sharing its location with others, you just need to tap the plus icon.
- Click the plus icon to add people. Since you are tracking, search and add yourself to their phone.
- Tap "send" and choose "Share Indefinitely", and you are done.
4. Glympse Free Phone Location Tracker
Glympse is a 4.8 rated app for tracking iPhone locations for free. It is fast, simple, and shares live location with the help of GPS tracking. You can share a location with more than one person. Asides from its tracking features, it also has privacy features.
Glympse was built with privacy, following the iOS device's rules. It tracks with a dynamic map and requires no signup to view the location.
- Download the app and install it
- Select "request location" or "share location" from the option
- Choice the time you want your location shared
- Click "share".
- If you request a location, check it on the map; it will pop there.
5. Life360 Free Cell Phone Location Tracker
Life360 app gives live locations and has interactive maps of cities and neighbourhoods. It saves top/frequently visited places and has cloud storage for saving location. You can also see the ongoing timelines of previous locations.
Life360 makes it possible to track, locate, and communicate with others. Other features of the app include Family Safety Network. It allows easy coordination of family get together and helps them stay in touch with each other.
- Download and install the app
- Create an account with them to get started
- Do the same on the target phone
- Enable the necessary features and grant permission
- Create a circle on the app or join one
- If you create the circle, you are an admin. But if you join a circle, you need to become an admin to see circle member's location
6. FollowMee GPS Location Tracker
FollowMee GPS Location Tracker tracks location using GPS. Although it is a top-rated free iPhone location tracker app, it runs on multiple platforms, including Android. It comes in handy for keeping tabs on friends, family members, and employees.
You can track them through the app or browser to see their location. It has features like Geofencing, location sharing, GPS tracking, etc. It runs in the background, even when the app is closed. FollowMee can locate more than one iPhone simultaneously.
- First, create an account on the FollowMee website to get registered
- Install the app on the target phone
- Set up the app there with your details
- The app runs in stealth mode in the device background without user interaction
- The device location is recorded and stored on the FollowMee website
- You can view the location from your end on the website
Part 3. Other Method To Track A Phone Location
1. Carrier Parental Control Apps
The carrier parental control apps are usually installed on the parent's phone while the kids' version is installed on the target phone. The carrier app pairs the parent device with the kids. That way, they can see their location. Generally, you can track location with any parental control app
- Install the carrier app on your phone
- Install the kids' version on the target phone
- Set it up and pair both devices
- Track the location of the said phone from the carrier app
2. Track Phone Using IMEI For Free
The IMEI number is the International Mobile Equipment Identity. Each phone has a unique IMEI number that is a 15-digit number. Usually, network providers use it for tracking lost phones for their customers when FindMyDevice can't. But it is used by regular people to track.
- Download an IMEI tracking App
- Grant the app permission. The kind of permission you grant it determines how it accesses the device
- Input the device IMEI number
- Tap "Track" to see the location
Video Tutorial: How to Track a Cell Phone Location for Free
There are different ways to track a cell phone's location. The most common is using apps. Fortunately, there are lots of free cell phone location trackers. Some specialize in tracking, while some double as parental control apps. In my opinion, such apps are the best when it comes to location tracking due to stealth. Why not download a free parental control app today!