Top Free Universal Remote Apps for iPhone: Control Any TV!
Almost every home has a smart TV these days, but to truly take advantage of these high-tech TVs, you need a remote control app to enhance your experience. We've got a list of the top free universal remote apps for iPhone in 2023 to get you started!
We've also included a great alternative in case you're looking for something more flexible. Let's get started!
1. What Is a Universal Remote App for TV on iPhone?
A free universal remote control app for iPhone is an app that can control any smart TV. Regardless of if you have a Samsung, LG, Hi-Sense, TLC, Sony, Panasonic, etc. smart TV, you can control it from your smartphone.
These apps perfectly mimic the way the usual remote control would function with a few more convenient features. For example, remote control apps often feature a trackpad and keyboard, which makes it easy to navigate and type.
They also feature media controls, which allow you to easily pause, rewind, resume, and more.
Plus, if you just can't find your remote, you can just use your smartphone to control your TV. It takes the hassle out of sitting down to watch TV only to spend 10 minutes searching through your couch's crevices for a missing remote.
2. The Best Free Universal Remote App for iPhone
We have tested and picked the top-rated TV remote apps for iOS devices.
1Universal TV Remote
The Universal TV Remote Remote app is one of the best free universal remote apps for iPhone you can find. It supports plenty of devices besides TVs and uses Wi-Fi, so it's easy to set up too.
To add your TV, simply select the 'Add Device' option on the settings page and follow the on-screen instructions. The only real downside is the app has plenty of ads that pop up every few button presses.
- Various TV brands support (Roku, LG, Samsung, SONY, Android TV, and more)
- Sleek UI design
- Multiple languages support
App Store Link: Universal TV Remote on the App Store
Price: Free or $19.99/year
2TV Remote - Universal Control
TV Remote - Universal Control is another fantastic free universal remote control app for iPhone that can control the most popular TV brands. Some of the supported devices include lights, media players, soundbars & systems, set-top boxes, and more.
TV Remote - Universal Control also supports native voice control and Siri shortcut integrations, so you can create shortcuts on your iPhone to quickly control your TV. One of the standout features of this app, though, is the minimal design. It isn't as cluttered as other apps and has an intuitive user interface.
To add your TV to this app, select the 'Control my WiFi Devices' option and select your TV brand. The app will automatically scan for compatible TVs on your Wi-Fi network, so make sure your iPhone and TV are on the same Wi-Fi.
- Gestures & voice control support
- 3-day free trial
- Large touchpad for easy navigation
App Store Link: TV Remote - Universal Control on the App Store
Price: Free or $39.99/year
The Roku app is a simple but highly versatile free universal TV remote app for iPhone. While it works with most smart TVs to control volume, change channels, and turn it on/off, its features are limited for non-Roku TVs.
This app works best if you have a Roku-compatible TV or a Roku streaming device. If you do, this app is filled with great features. The Roku app supports voice control and a keyboard to type with.
It also has a great feature called private listening, with which you can put on a pair of earphones to watch TV silently. Plus, with the Roku app, you can cast photos and videos directly to your TV.
After downloading the app, you just need to add your TV in the 'Devices' tab. This app is best suited if you already have a Roku device because if you don't, the app's functionality is pretty limited.
- Well-designed user interface
- Voice control & keyboard built-in
- Private listening with headphones
App Store Link: Roku on the App Store
Google Home is a great app if you're looking to use your iPhone as a remote for a Samsung TV and other Android TVs. But this app only works if you have a Chromecast device or a smart TV with Android OS.
Besides your TV, Google Home can control most devices and aspects of your smart home, like lighting, cameras, thermostats, doorbells, Matter-enabled devices, and much more.
Like other TV remote control apps, Google Home has a keyboard, media controls, and touchpad navigation. It also supports branded buttons like Netflix or Amazon Prime for seamless navigation. The app also features Google Assistant voice control for hands-free control of your TV.
The Google Home app is a great remote control option if you have a Chromecast, Google TV, or Android TV. It's not compatible with smart TVs running other OSes, which is a big downside.
- Works best with Google TV/Chromecast/Android TV
- Automation & actions support
- Continuous software updates and customer support
App Store Link: Google Home on the App Store
5Official Apple TV Remote
The official Apple TV Remote is a great option to try for iPhone users. Unlike other apps on the list, the Apple TV Remote is a feature built-in to iOS. However, the remote only works with Apple TV 4K or AirPlay-compatible smart TVs.
The TV remote is well-designed and features a touchpad, media controls, mute, channels & audio controls, and an AirPlay button. It isn't as feature-rich as other options on the list, but it gets extra points for being pre-installed on the latest iOS versions.
To launch Apple TV Remote on your iPhone, swipe down on the top-right corner of your iPhone to find your Control Center. Scroll to the bottom and click on the Remote icon. Then, choose which TV you'd like to control and you should be ready to go.
- Best option for Apple TV/AirPlay Compatible TVs
- Well integrated ecosystem
- Apple's polished UI & simplicity
6Universal Remote TV Smart
Universal Remote TV Smart is a solid free LG TV remote app for iPhone, but it works incredibly well with a number of other brand TVs. The app supports a great variety of smart TVs, including Roku, TCL, Samsung, Android TV, Sony, HiSense, and more.
The best part about the app is the minimalist design and variety of on-screen controls to navigate your smart TV. It features most of the buttons you'd need, including a guide, settings, info, source, color-coded buttons, volume & channel controls, and more.
Another great feature is one-touch connectivity. Selecting the TV button in the top-left corner, the app will automatically search for and detect smart TVs the app is compatible with. From there, select your TV, allow the connection on your TV, and you're good to go.
The app is incredibly easy to set up and its variety of controls make it stand out as one of the most convenient options on the list.
However, the biggest downside we noticed is the amount of pop-up ads. After every 2nd button press, there'll be a pop-up ad that interferes with the controls. And the plan to remove ads costs a hefty $16.99.
- Plentiful Supported TV Brands
- Media Controls & Keyboard Support
- One-Touch Connectivity
App Store Link: Universal Remote TV Smart on the App Store
Price: Free or $16.99/year
3. Comparison of the Best Universal Remote Apps for iPhone
|Application||Platforms||Best for||Price||Editor's Rating (/10)|
|Universal TV Remote||iOS/Android||Any Smart TV||Free / $19.99/year||8|
|TV Remote - Universal Control||iOS/Android||Any Smart TV||Free / $39.99/year||8.5|
|Google Home||iOS/Android||Android TV/Google TV/Chromecast||Free||9|
|Official Apple TV Remote||iOS/Android||Apple TV/AirPlay-compatible TVs||Free||9|
|Universal Remote TV Smart||iOS/Android||Any Smart TV||Free/$16.99||8|
4. Bonus Tip: Screen Mirror iPhone Screen to TV via AirDroid Cast
Other than remote control apps, there are other options if you want to use your iPhone on your TV. Another great solution is AirDroid Cast, an all-in-one screen-sharing tool that can easily cast your iPhone to any smart TV!
Here's a rundown of some of AirDroid Cast's key features:
- Multi-Platform Support: AirDroid Cast is available on the most popular platforms, including Android, iOS, macOS, Windows, Android TV, and a web platform that works with any device's web browser!
- High-Resolution Streaming: AirDroid Cast has plentiful options for stream quality and supports up to 1080p resolution screen casting. Picture quality is crisp, clear, and detailed.
- Local & Remote Connectivity Options: There are plenty of ways to connect with AirDroid Cast, including wired USB connections, AirPlay, or wireless. Plus, you don't need to be on the same Wi-Fi network to cast to a device!
- Two-Way Audio: Casting with AirDroid Cast also allows two-way audio, so both the sender and receiver can speak and listen right in the app!
If you'd like to try out AirDroid Cast to screen mirror your iPhone to your TV, here are the steps using the AirDroid Cast Web platform:
- Step 1.Download and install AirDroid Cast on your iPhone
- The first thing you need to do is to download and install the AirDroid Cast app on your iPhone. After installation, launch AirDroid Cast and make an account.
- Step 2.Select the 'Cast the Screen' option
- Open the app on your iPhone and select the 'Cast the Screen' option. Keep the app open.
- Step 3.Open AirDroid Cast Web on your Smart TV
- Open the web browser on your TV, search for webcast.airdroid.com, and select it. You'll then see a QR code and a 9-digit Cast Code.
- Step 4.Start Connecting
- On your iPhone, scan the QR code or enter the 9-digit Cast Code from your TV. You'll then see a 'Screen Broadcast' pop-up on your iPhone. Select AirDroid Cast and then tap on 'Start Broadcast' to begin screen sharing.
5. Final Words
That's the end of our list of the best free universal remote apps for iPhone and we hope you've found a suitable solution. And if all else fails, AirDroid Cast is a phenomenal option to easily stream content to your TV!
AirDroid Cast supports almost any platform you could think of, and with the ability to remotely stream over the internet is a game changer for both work and play! Not to mention the arsenal of exclusive features like two-way audio, remote iOS/Android control, high-res streaming, and more!