How to Get Apple TV Remote on iPhone? A Step by Step Guide!
1. What Is Apple TV Remote on iPhone?
The best thing about using an Apple product is the convenience of the Apple ecosystem, allowing you to connect and use many of its products together. The iPhone has an Apple TV remote function in its control center that automatically connects to your TV once you tap on it. The remote mimics the function of the physical Siri remote, offering features like play, pause, back, and many more.
Previously, to use the Apple TV remote on iPhone, you had to download the official "Apple TV Remote App" from the App Store. However, Apple has now discontinued the app. Now you can access the Apple TV remote just by swiping from the top right corner of the iPhone (in iOS 12 and above).
Also, bear in mind that Apple TV iPhone control requires both devices to be connected to the same network.
With that said, let's see how you can use your iPhone as an Apple TV remote.
2. How to Use iPhone as Apple TV Remote?
Using iPhone as an Apple TV remote is probably quicker than finding your lost Siri remote. With the right steps, this should not take more than 3 minutes.
How to Set Up Apple TV Remote for iPhone
- Step 1.Slide down the homepage of your iPhone from the top right corner to open the Control Center. This will work for iPhones operating on iOS 12 or above. For iPhones running older iOS versions, swipe up from the bottom.
- Step 2.You'll see the Apple TV remote icon at the bottom of the Control Center. The remote icon looks like the physical Apple remote.
- Don't worry if you can't see the remote icon as you can easily add Apple TV remote to iPhone. Here's how:
- Step 3.On your iPhone, go to Settings.
- Step 4.Find and tap on "Control Center".
- Step 5.Scroll the "INCLUDED CONTROLS" list and look for the "Apple TV Remote" option.
- Step 6.If it isn't there, then you can find it under "MORE CONTROLS".
- Step 7.Tap it to include it in the INCLUDED CONTROLS.
- Step 8.Now go back to the homepage and swipe from the top right corner or bottom, depending on your iOS, and you shall see the Apple TV Remote icon.
If you're connecting the iPhone's Apple TV remote for the first time with your Apple TV, then you'll have to pair both devices. For this:
- Step 1.Open Control Center and tap on the Apple TV Remote icon.
- Step 2.On the next page, choose your Apple TV. If you have only one TV, then your iPhone will automatically start pairing with it.
- Step 3.Next, a 4-digit code will be displayed on your iPhone screen. Type that code into your Apple TV.
- Step 4.If you don't see a code on the TV, go to Settings > Remotes and Devices on your Apple TV to connect your iPhone.
Congrats! Your iPhone is ready to serve as an Apple TV remote. Now, you can easily control Apple TV with iPhone.
How to Use Apple TV Remote on iPhone
Using the virtual Apple TV remote is a piece of cake. The remote just mimics your physical remote.
1. The left-facing arrow in the center of the bottom panel takes you back to your previous sessions.
2. The Play/Pause button on the left of the left-facing arrow is to play or pause your selected TV show or game.
3. The TV icon leads to Apple TV+ streaming. Note that this streaming will require a subscription.
4. The vertical channel button on the lower right lets you switch between channels.
5. The power button on the top right is to switch the virtual remote on or off.
6. And the three-dot icon is to guide through different features of the remote.
7. There is also a volume button, which will work when your TV is connected to AirPlay-compatible speakers.
8. You can tap and swipe on the main rectangular pad in the middle to switch through different apps, settings, or channels on your Apple TV.
Moreover, if you want to type a channel's name or game, just open the on-screen keyboard and type. This is where the virtual Apple TV remote wins over the physical one, as you can type quickly and comfortably. Furthermore, you can use the SIRI button on your iPhone to use voice control features.
3. Screen Mirror iPhone to Apple TV via AirDroid Cast
We all know that it's much easier and intuitive to use apps on your phone, but TVs just offer a better viewing experience. But there's a secret way you can access the Apple TV app on your iPhone and cast it to your TV's big screen. You can easily mirror your iPhone's screen to Apple TV via the AirDroid Cast app, and you wouldn't even need the iPhone remote for Apple TV in the process.
AirDroid Cast is a screen-mirroring platform that mirrors one device's screen to another. What's more, AirDroid Cast is 100% free. Here are a few more promising features of this application.
Key Features of AirDroid Cast
- It lets you remote control the mirrored mobile with a keyboard and mouse on PC.
- With one AirDroid Cast account, you can share up to 5 different screens.
- It lets you share the device screen with full audio.
- AirDroid Cast allows you to connect to different networks, including cellular and WiFi, without any lag in performance.
Steps to Mirror iPhone to Apple TV:
- Step 1.Download and install the AirDroid Cast app on your iPhone. You can download it by clicking the button below or navigating to App Store. Launch the app after installing.
- Step 2.On your Apple TV, open a web browser and go to webcast.airdroid.com. You will see a QR code or a 9 digit code.
- Step 3.Scan the QR code using your iPhone or enter the 9 digit code in AirDroid Cast on your iPhone.
- Step 4.Accept the casting request and start broadcasting.
And that's it. Your iPhone will be mirrored to Apple TV. Now, you can play anything on your Apple TV app on your iPhone and it will be cast to your Apple TV.
4. How to Fix Apple TV Remote Not Working on iPhone?
The Apple TV remote for iPhone is an inbuilt feature after all, and all apps are prone to some bugs and issues. Some users might find the remote application laggy or might receive the “iPhone Apple TV remote not connecting” error. If your iPhone won't connect to Apple TV, try one of the following fixes:
- Outdated iOS version
- Devices connected to different networks
- Using different Apple IDs on both devices
Luckily these issues can be easily fixed, and you can enjoy a lag-free experience using Apple TV remote on your iPhone.
Fix #1: Update Your iOS
The Apple TV remote application is available on versions older than iOS 11, but the app runs sloppy and glitches on these older versions. Fortunately, updating the app removes all kinds of bugs. Here's how to update the iOS version on your iPhone:
Step 1. Go to the Settings app on your iPhone.
Step 2 Tap on General > Software Update.
Step 3. If an update is available, simply download and install it.
Step 4. After that, restart your iPhone and swipe into the Control Center to access the Apple TV remote feature.
Fix #2: Check If Both Devices Are Connected to the Same Network
Since the Apple TV remote feature works through Apple AirPlay, both devices must be connected to the same network. Here's how to check if both devices are connected to the same network:
For Apple TV:
Step 1. On your Apple TV, go to Settings > Network.
Step 2. Note the name of the network that you're connected to.
Step 1. Head over to the Settings app on your iPhone.
Step 2. Tap "WiFi" or "WLAN".
Step 3. Check if it's connected to the same network as Apple TV.
If not, connect both devices to the same WiFi.
Fix #3: Use the Same Apple ID on Both Devices
Just like using the same network is important, so is using the same Apple ID on both devices. Here's how to check:
Step 1. On your Apple TV, go to the Settings App.
Step 2. Tap on "Users and Accounts".
Step 3. Note your Apple ID.
Step 4. Now on your iPhone, go to Settings.
Step 5. Tap on the profile name at the top. See if you're using the same Apple ID.
In this article, we tried to explain how to control Apple TV with iPhone. Remember that the Siri remote is just the size of a palm, and it's easy to misplace it. But don't worry; you can still control Apple TV from iPhone. All you need to do is swipe down from the upper top right corner of your iPhone screen and click the Apple TV remote icon.
If the icon is not there, add it to the Control Center by going to Settings > Control Center. Moreover, if you encounter problems using the virtual Apple TV remote, follow our guide above to fix it in minutes. Additionally, if you want to cast your iPhone screen to Apple TV, AirDroid Cast is the best option. Its screen-casting feature is quick, free, and reliable.