[2023 Updated] How to Turn on and Use AirPlay on Mac?
Apple AirPlay is a proprietary wireless streaming technology that allows the transmission of audio and video content from devices to other compatible devices such as iOS, MacOS, Apple TV, and other Apple hardware, etc.
It can stream anything from any Apple device to a big screen. With AirPlay on Mac, users can broadcast music, photos, and videos. It can even mirror the whole screen to make big presentations or just share content onto a larger display.
To know more about how to turn on and use AirPlay on Mac, stay with us till the end of the article.
- Part 1 :How Many Devices Can Support AirPlay?
- Part 2 :How to Enable AirPlay on Mac?
- Part 3 :How to AirPlay from A Mac to TV?(Apple TV & Roku)
- Part 4 :How to AirPlay from Phone to Mac?(iPhone & Android)
- Part 5 :How to Mirror Your Mac to Another PC?
- Part 6 :Is It Possible to AirPlay from Mac to iPhone/iPad?
- Part 7 :Conclusion
Part 1. How Many Devices Can Support AirPlay?
Apple devices work best with Apple devices. To use the AirPlay feature, the originating device must be an Apple device but the receiving device can be an Apple device or an AirPlay-compatible 3rd party device.
Here is the list of devices that are capable of working with the AirPlay system:
- iPhone 4S and above
- iPad 2 and above
- Mac or MacBook
- iPod touch
- Apple TV 4K or Apple TV HD
The devices to which you can broadcast using AirPlay are:
- HomePod mini
- Apple TV 2nd/3rd generation
- Third-party speakers
Part 2. How to Enable AirPlay on Mac?
To enable AirPlay on Mac, follow the given guidelines.
- Step 1.Open the “System Preferences”
- Visit the menu bar at the top of your screen and click the Apple symbol. Now open the "System Preferences" in the drop-down.
- Step 2.Open "Displays"
- In the second step, find and select "Displays," in the “System Preferences” which resembles a computer monitor. From the drop-down menu, select an available display. To access the quick menu bar to AirPlay, select “the box next to Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available”.
- Step 3.Search the AirPlay icon
- Now in the Apple menu bar, locate the AirPlay icon and choose an Apple or AirPlay-compatible devices.
- Step 4.Control the mirroring or display options
- From the AirPlay icon in the menu bar, you can control the mirroring or display options.
Part 3. How to AirPlay from Mac to TV?
If you want to mirror your Mac to TV, simply activate AirPlay at the right place, and it will begin mirroring. You can adjust the size accordingly on your computer screen.
1. How to AirPlay from Mac to Apple TV?
With Apple TV you can use your TV as an extra screen or mirror the entire display of your Mac. Here is how to AirPlay from a Mac to a TV.
- First, connect your Mac to the same Wi-Fi network as your Apple TV.
Now on your Mac go to the top menu, click System Preferences and then “Display” and click the “Show Mirroring Options in Menu Bar when available”.
- Now from the available list, choose your Apple TV.
- Enter the passcode on your Mac if it appears on your TV screen.
2. How to AirPlay from Mac to Roku TV?
You can mirror your entire screen to your Roku from the menu bar on your Mac. Here is how!
- Turn on AirPlay on your Mac computer.
- If the AirPlay icon in the menu bar at the top of your screen is not visible, open “System Preferences” and click on “Displays”.
On the Displays page, check “the box next to Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available”.
- At the top of your screen, click the AirPlay button in the menu bar and select your Roku device from the available devices list.
- If a passcode appears on your Roku screen, enter the code on your Mac.
- Mac Screen display will begin on your Roku.
Roku models that support AirPlay:
- Roku TV models
- Roku Streambar model 9102
- Roku Streambar Pro model 9101R2
- Roku Smart Soundbar models 9100 and 9101
- Roku Streaming Stick+ models 3810 and 3811
- Roku Streaming Stick 4K model 3820
- Roku Streaming Stick 4K+ model 3821
- Roku Express 4K model 3940
- Roku Express 4K+ model 3941
- Roku Premiere models 3920 and 4620
- Roku Premiere+ models 3921 and 4630
- Roku Ultra models 4600, 4640, 4660, 4661, 4670, and 4800
- Roku Ultra LT models 4662 and 4801
Part 4. How to AirPlay from Phone to Mac?
All Apple devices support AirPlay so it is easy to connect your iOS devices to your Mac. However, Android needs special arrangements to AirPlay with Mac as it does not support the AirPlay feature.
1. AirPlay from iPhone/iPad to Mac:
Once you have installed MacOS Monterey on a supported Mac, there’s not much you need to AirPlay from an iOS device to your computer. Here is how to AirPlay from iPhone or iPad.
- On your iPhone or iPad, search the AirPlay button in the Control Center or within supported apps.
To share the screen of your device, tap the “Screen Mirroring” toggle in the Control Center.
- Select your Mac from the AirPlay list.
- After a few seconds, your iPhone or iPad content will be wirelessly streamed to your computer.
AirPlay from Android to Mac:
Android devices do not support the AirPlay feature. However, if want to mirror your Android content to Mac, you can use AirDroid Cast. Airdroid Cast is a screen sharing and mirroring app that lets you view your phone on a bigger screen.
Here is how to use AirDroid Cast to mirror Android to Mac.
- Step 1.Download and Install the App
- Download and install the Airdroid Cast software by click download button below or Google Play on your Android device as well as on your Mac.
- Step 2.Cast Android Devices' Screen to your Mac
- Open Airdroid Cast on your computer and Android device and start the Cast request by putting the Cast Code in your computer or scanning the cast code through Android. USB cable connection is also available.
- Step 3.Allow Screencasting
- Tap the “start casting” button, and press the icon “Allow the device to cast its screen on this computer”. A message will pop up saying: "AirDroid Cast will start capturing everything that's displayed on your screen. Tap "Allow" and enable the permission. After following all the steps, your Android device's screen will appear on your Mac.
Part 5. How to Mirror Your Mac to Another PC?
If you want to mirror your Mac to another PC, AirDroid Cast will help you. AirDroid Cast makes it possible for you to wirelessly stream content from one computer to another, even when they're a great distance apart. How? We'll tell you how!
- Download and install the AirDroid Cast on both your PC and Mac.
Launch the app on your Mac, click “Cast to” button.
- Look at AirDroid Cast interface on your PC. A cast code will pop up on the PC and enter it in your Mac.
- Accept the request “Allow the device XXX to cast its screen on this computer?” by clicking “Allow”.
- Successful casting will start on PC from Mac.
Part 6. Is it possible to AirPlay from Mac to iPhone/iPad?
It's possible to AirPlay from Mac to another AirPlay-compatible device, like iPhone or iPad. Expanding or mirroring your screen is optimal for the sharing of files, presenting and entertainment, etc. In this section, we will also go over how to mirror your Mac to your iPad or iPhone.
To connect your Mac to your iPhone or iPad, both devices must be using the same Wi-Fi and Apple ID. For easy connection, follow the steps.
- Click the AirPlay icon from the menu bar on the Mac screen.
- Choose your iPhone or iPad from the available list of devices.
- Enter the passcode on your Mac if it appears on your device's screen.
- Mac screen will begin mirroring on your selected device.
Part 7. Conclusion
AirPlay is an Apple-built protocol that allows streaming, extending, or mirroring screens between devices on the same local area network. Through the AirPlay feature, you can stream the entire screen of your iPhone, iPad, or Mac or you can stream just an application’s display to a TV screen wirelessly. But if you want to mirror an Android phone to other devices, you can use AirDroid Cast, that's a wonderful software for screen sharing and mirroring.
Leave a Reply.