How to Use TV as Second Monitor or Computer Monitor?
- Using AirDroid Cast to turn your TV into a computer monitor
- HD video and synchronized audio
- High-quality streaming and improved workflow
- Wide-ranging compatibility with different TVs and computer systems
Are you thinking of using your TV as a second monitor? If so, you are in the perfect place! In this article, you'll get to know all about how to use a TV as a second monitor in many ways.
The motivation behind using TV as a second screen can greatly vary on the basis of specific requirements. Generally, people want to learn about how to use TV as a second monitor because they can want to get better picture quality on the larger screen of the TV.
Moreover, a larger screen is preferred to fully enjoy streaming movies and TV shows. It is also possible that you might want to multitask by using a TV as a second screen. Whatever the reason might be, keep reading to learn how you can do it.
1Can You Use a TV as a Second Monitor?
Yes, using the TV as a second monitor is definitely possible. In fact, many ways and platforms are available for this purpose. As a result, you can find multiple wired as well as wireless methods of using a TV as a second monitor.
A significant benefit of using your TV as a second monitor is that you get the entire audiovisual experience without compromising the quality. Both wired and wireless methods can transmit audio as well as video, so you can expect an optimum experience from your TV by choosing the best method of turning your TV into a second monitor.
2Use TV as Second Monitor from Windows 10/Mac (Extend Mode)
Using TV as a second monitor has never been easier. A large variety of wired and wireless methods are available to help you use a TV as a second monitor. Let's discuss them in detail.
How to Use TV as Second Monitor Wirelessly?
Miracast is one of the most reliable ways for Windows users to extend the screen of their computer to the TV. It is because Miracast offers wide-ranging compatibility and great user-friendliness.
If you want to use the TV as a second monitor wirelessly for your Windows computer, you’ll have to follow these steps:
- Firstly, make sure that your TV supports Miracast. Modern smart TVs come with built-in Miracast. Even if it's not supported, you can buy the Miracast dongle to ensure you can turn your TV into a second monitor wirelessly.
- The next step is to access the Project settings on your Windows computer and use the option of "Connect to a Wireless Display".
- Here you’ll find a list of available TVs. Select your particular TV from the list and provide relevant permissions to start extending your screen to the TV and use it as a second monitor.
Mac does not natively support Miracast technology, due to which using all types of TV with Mac as a second monitor can be challenging. However, if you have a smart TV that supports AirPlay, the entire process will become easier.
Therefore, you first must make sure that your particular smart TV supports AirPlay to wirelessly use the TV as a second monitor by following these steps:
- Open the System Preferences on your Mac system and select Displays.
- Select your TV from the list of available devices to use your TV as a second monitor for your Mac computer via AirPlay.
How to Use TV As Second Monitor with HDMI?
Windows 10 and Mac computers have a default "Extend" mode through which you can extend the screen of your computer system to a TV via cable. You can use this Mode in the following steps:
1. Get the Right Cables
Firstly, it is important that you identify the right video output ports on your computer.
Most PCs and Mac desktop computers have at least two ports. Generally, Windows computers have HDMI, DVI, and DisplayPort. On the other hand, Mac desktops use HDMI and Thunderbolt (commonly called USB-C) connections.
Once you identify these ports, buy the right cables and an adapter, if required. If both your TV and computer have the same port type, such as HDMI or DVI, you won't need any adapter.
However, if one of the ports is different, you'll have to find the right adapter from a reliable online store, such as Amazon.
2. Connect your Computer to the TV
Connect the video output port of your computer, such as HDMI, to the TV's video input port. Make sure that you are using a high-quality cable and that they are properly connected to both of your devices.
Switch to HDMI Channel on your TV
3. Turn on your TV and access the "Input" menu to open the HDMI channel. The exact menu and setting greatly vary from TV to TV, but these are typically labeled as HDMI
4. Extend Screen
Press Win+P on your Windows computer system or open the "Displays" settings on your Mac system. Start extending your screen to enjoy using the TV as a second monitor.
3Using TV as Computer Monitor (Mirroring Mode)
When it comes to using a TV as a computer monitor, you are likely to face a number of challenges, such as determining the built-in function for your specific Windows or Mac computer, available HDMI port, and finding the right cables.
However, these challenges can be avoided by using a reliable screen mirroring tool like AirDroid Cast. It is a powerful screen mirroring app that is available for all the major platforms and operating systems, including Android, iOS, Windows, macOS, and smart TVs. A web version – AirDroid Cast Web – is also available to enhance its accessibility.
Mirror Mac / Windows Computer to TV via AirDroid Cast Web
Follow these steps to mirror your Mac or Windows to TV with AirDroid Cast Web:
- Step 1. Download and Install AirDroid Cast on your Device
- Download the AirDroid Cast app on your computer from the official page. To get the desktop version by clicking the below button.
- Step 2. Open AirDroid Cast Web on Smart TV
- Open a web browser on your smart TV and type the address “webcast.airdroid.com” in the browser. A QR code and a 9-digit code will be displayed on your TV screen
- Step 3. Enter the QR Code and Start Screen Mirroring!
- Enter the 9-digit code into the AirDroid Cast App and start screen mirroring your computer to the TV to start using the TV as a second monitor.
It is evident that many wired and wireless methods are available to turn your TV into a second monitor and get the benefits of using a computer system on a larger screen. Choosing the best method is dependent on your specific requirements.
By using the right cables and ports, you'll likely find the default extend option to be the best one in terms of quality and efficiency. Similarly, when it comes to wireless methods, the best way of using a TV as a second monitor or computer monitor is to rely on a screen mirroring app like AirDroid Cast because it is quick, easy, and simple.
Leave a Reply.