Wattpad's purpose is to allow people to share their original content with the world. Teens and adults may use the blog-style platform Wattpad to publish and discuss their creative writing in the realm of fiction.
What Is Wattpad? Parent’s Guide to the Online Storytelling Platform
Parents of both enthusiastic and hesitant readers may find that their children will find inspiration and entertainment in the vast selection of tales available on the digital reading app Wattpad. It's a group of people who like to read and write. Wattpad is an online community for writers, readers, and listeners to connect and discover tales written in any language.
Part 1: What Is Wattpad?
Wattpad is a web-based reading platform with over 90 million people using it. It's a platform for people to write and share tales, from adolescent fiction to poetry to adventure, action, and beyond. Wattpad is a website and mobile app where anybody can share or read free, user-generated material such as short stories, poetry, and art. Originally released in 2006 as a mobile reading software providing access to free eBooks, Goodreads has now evolved into a widely used social reading platform, particularly among younger users. According to data provided by Wattpad, the vast majority of its 90 million monthly users are members of Generation Z or Millennials.
For this reason, it's no surprise that Wattpad has grown so popular throughout the globe: the site now has tales written by amateur authors in more than 50 different languages, making it possible for anybody to pick up a mobile device and read a story anywhere in the world.
Part 2: Wattpad Pros and Cons
Wattpad is an important asset for people who like to read and write, but it contains inappropriate content that can harm your kid's behaviour and safety. Some of the advantages and disadvantages of Wattpad are:
- Reduce Stress: Losing yourself in a good story is a way to forget about the troubles you're having in real life, whether at work or in your personal relationships. A good book may take you away to another world, while an interesting article can keep your mind off your worries and in the current time.
- Improve Writing Skills: Exposure to established, well-written content has a recognized impact on one's writing since examining the rhythm, fluidity, and writing styles of other writers will undoubtedly affect one's own.
- Increase Knowledge: New knowledge is constantly being added to your brain while you read, and you never know when that information could be useful. Gaining additional information makes you more prepared for whatever difficulty you may encounter.
- Undesirable Content: Wattpad provides a platform for aspiring authors to share their work, but it also attracts many undesirables. There are no restrictions on what may be posted or viewed by members. Therefore, every piece of writing, even that produced by sexual predators online, is readily available to anybody who wants to see it.
- Misuse of Private Messaging: The platform promotes communication amongst its users. What's more, when you publish your articles, you may get feedback in two ways: publicly and privately. Private Messaging services facilitate the dissemination of sexually exploitative material. Similarly, other addicts may easily utilize the anonymity of private message responses to tempt you to join them in their destructive habits.
- Location Is Public: Users will be able to pinpoint your location readily. If you don't remove this information from the Settings menu, predators may monitor your child's whereabouts and use this information to coax them into engaging in criminal activity, such as drug trafficking.
Part 3: What Do Parents Need to Know about Wattpad?
Authors on Wattpad do not have any control over who may leave comments on their stories. Your child risks being bullied and subjected to foul language if they publish a tale online. Words and phrases that are not acceptable for young ears may be found in the comments section of every story your kid reads.
Authors on Wattpad are expected to label their stories as adults if they include any of the following content types: self-harm, graphic violence, or sexually explicit situations. Stories with this tag may only be seen by readers at least 17 years old. It would be simple to register using a fake birthdate. This app has an unbelievable amount of content. Because of this, even relatively safe search terms like family might provide unsuitable results.
Part 4: Is Wattpad Safe for Kids?
Parents of avid readers and aspiring authors may start thinking that Wattpad is the perfect location for their children to develop their skills. Wattpad may be a fun and inspiring place for young people to express themselves creatively, but it also has plenty of material unsuitable for them to read. Children's Wattpad tales may introduce them to:
- Sexually explicit material, including explicit language and adult themes.
- The potentially upsetting subject matter, such as violence towards oneself or thoughts of death.
- Images of extreme brutality or abuse.
- Words that aren't acceptable.
- Bullying in online forums or via direct messaging is considered cyberbullying.
Children's accounts on the site are vulnerable to cyberbullying and harassment from people they don't know, including people who pretend to be much older than they are.
Part 5: Wattpad's Privacy and Security Settings
While there aren't any dedicated parental controls in Wattpad, there are a few safeguards in place to keep your kid safe while they're using it, which include:
1Report A User/Story:
To do this, follow these steps:
- Tap the flag icon on the right user's page or story.
- Select the reason you wish to report the person and input your reason.
Users have the option to disable or fully disable push notifications selectively. To accomplish this:
- Visit your profile and click the settings button in the upper right.
- Select the Push Notifications menu, and then deselect the necessary boxes.
3Mute A User:
To mute a user, follow these steps:
- Go to the user's page and click the three dots.
- Select Mute
4Select Content Preferences:
To access this feature, follow these steps:
- Go to your home screen and tap the symbol in the upper right corner.
- To disable Mature material, tap the switch.
You may prevent certain tags from appearing in your feed by adding them to the Blocked Tags section. Select Save from the menu.
Part 6: How to Keep Your Kids Safe on Wattpad?
Wondering how to keep your kids safe on Wattpad? The following things will help:
Talk to Your kids about Online Safety
The first thing to try is to talk to your kids about online safety. The best tool you have for keeping your kid safe while they're online is a two-way conversation with them. Your responsibility is to educate your children on what they should not post on such an app. Don't forget to remind them that sensitive data like their home address or credit card number shouldn't be shared on this site.
Monitor Wattpad Activity and Schedule Usage
Another way to safeguard your child from online danger is to monitor their Wattpad activity using third-party software, such as AirDroid Parental Control. It is the finest tool for keeping tabs on your kids, with over 100,000 downloads on Google Play Store. It allows you to keep your kids safe by monitoring their activities, what apps they use, where they go, etc., from your mobile screen.
The AirDroid Parental Control App is designed to help you monitor your child's digital activity and encourage positive behaviours while keeping them safe in the real world. It has amazing features like remote device monitoring, screen casting, screen time restriction, banning certain games and applications, synchronization of SMS and notifications, GPS tracking, quick alerts, and much more.
To understand how to monitor Wattpad activities and schedule usage of your kids via the AirDroid Parental Control app, follow these steps:
Step 1. Download, install and launch the AirDroid Parental Control app on your phone. Set up your account by tapping on the Sign In button.
Step 2. Install AirDroid Kids on your kid's phone and pair the devices by entering the pairing code. After that, make some necessary adjustments.
Step 3. Open AirDroid Parental Control on your phone and tap on App List. Find Wattpad in the list and tap on it. You will get the usage status of that app, and you can add limits for Wattpad.
Spend More Time with Your Kids
Another thing you can try is spending more time with your kids at home. Establish a regular time to connect with your kid. If you can't talk to your kid directly, establish a practice where you at least leave notes of encouragement throughout the home, such as in his lunch bag, beside his toothbrush, or on a family whiteboard.
Part 7: Hottest Questions Related to Wattpad
The recommended age group on Wattpad is 13+ years. However, people of every age use the app these days.
Yes, the reading lists on Wattpad are public. You can't hide them or make them secret. They can be featured on your profile and may appear as suggestions.
Wattpad is popular because it provides a platform for people to share their fictional or other stories.
The user-contributed fiction website Wattpad offers authors cash payments of up to $25,000 if they satisfy specific conditions and agree to make their tales available only on Wattpad.
Reading content on Wattpad improves your concentration skills. It can also benefit the way you write. Reading your favourite stories on Wattpad also reduces your tension and stress.